Information: Scheduling Your Surgery
Based on your physician’s recommendation, we will be scheduling you for surgery. Please read the following information to understand the surgery scheduling process and the pre-operative instructions below.
- We will start by calling your insurance company to verify eligibility, benefits, and obtain any necessary prior authorization.
- Your insurance company will give us an estimation of your financial obligation based on your particular insurance policy, such as co-pays, co-insurance, and/or deductibles.
- Once this estimate is obtained from your insurance company, we will call you to collect payment. We require this payment in full prior to scheduling the surgery. Please be aware that your surgeon, a surgical team, and the procedure/operating room will need to be reserved for you. Collecting payment prior to surgery is to reserve this time. We accept cash, check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express. This amount will be fully refundable if you decide to cancel with 5 days from the date of surgery. There is a $300.00 cancellation fee if you cancel surgery within 5 business days from surgery.
- The calculation of your responsibility is merely an estimate provided to us by your insurance company. If a balance is owed after surgery, you will receive a bill. If you have over-paid, you will receive a refund check from our office, typically issued on the first Friday after we have received payment from your insurance company. Refunds are not issued until the insurance company has paid it’s share in full.
- We do not collect payment on behalf of the anesthesiologist, surgical assistant, or surgical facility/hospital. You will be billed separately from their offices. Please check with your surgeon or surgery scheduler to see if a surgical assistant will be required.
- Your surgery will be scheduled according to the availability of the surgeon, surgical assistant, (if required), surgical facility/hospital, and anesthesiologist. We make every effort to schedule you for your preferred date, however, this may not be possible. Please do not make prior arrangements with work or caretakers until you receive the actual date from the surgery scheduler.
- You will receive a phone call from the surgery scheduled with the date, time, and name of the facility as soon as the arrangements have been finalized.
- If you decide to have a second opinion, please do so before we schedule your surgery.
- Surgery dates are considered final. Please understand arranging surgeries requires many steps involving the reservation of a procedure/operating room, scheduling surgical staff, reserving any special equipment, blocking out schedules for the surgeon, assistant surgeon, anesthesiologist and other necessary medical professionals. This can be quite time consuming to coordinate and we will not cancel & reschedule surgery for anything other than certain extenuating circumstances (i.e. illness, family emergencies).
- Pre-operative physicals may be required prior to surgery. A pre-op appointment may need to be scheduled with your surgeon or a medical clearance by your primary care physician may be necessary. Pre-op clearances must be performed within 1-2 weeks of the date of surgery. The cancellation fee will apply if required pre-op clearances are not obtained in time.
Surgery Day/Pre-op Instructions
- Plan on arriving 1½ hours prior to the surgery time.
- Avoid taking aspirin or any ibuprofen products (Motrin, Advil, Aleve) for a minimum of 2 weeks prior to surgery.
- Do NOT eat or drink ANYTHING after midnight the night before surgery. This includes water, candy, or gum.
- Avoid smoking for 2 weeks prior to or after surgery. Smoking will slow your healing process.
- A friend or family member will need to drive you home upon discharge. You will not be allowed to leave via taxi, car service or public transportation.
- It is recommended you arrange to have someone care for you at home for at least 24 hours after surgery.
- Wear loose comfortable clothing and leave all valuables at home.
- You will need to present identification, insurance card, and method of payment to the surgical facility.
- Please do not bring children with you.
- If you feel ill the day before or the morning of surgery, please contact our office immediately.
- If you do not follow these instructions carefully, your surgery may need to be cancelled. A cancellation fee of $300.00 will apply if you are not prepared or do not follow these instructions carefully.